Squeak on iPaq..success!

John.Maloney at disney.com John.Maloney at disney.com
Tue Dec 19 00:11:17 UTC 2000

Kevin,

Congratulations! Having Squeak running on the iPaq is a major
accomplishment. I'm looking forward to following the trail you've
blazed one of these days.

When you get a chance, I'd love to see the tinyBenchmark numbers, although
I have a pretty good sense what a 200 MHz StrongARM delivers in terms
of Squeak performance. Just print the result of "0 tinyBenchmarks".

I've seen a problem similar to the one you mention with majorShrink.
In my case, a critical method used by the Delay process had accidentally
been removed, causing that process to die. Thus, the processing waiting
on the Delay was never awoken. The fix (as I recall) was to add that
method's selector to the list of "protected" selectors. But don't
worry: lastRemove really doesn't yield significant space savings--
perhaps only a few thousand bytes. You're not missing much to omit it.

	-- John