Advice on squeaklets needed

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Dec 19 10:57:49 UTC 2000

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Russell Allen wrote:

> I have a squeak application that I want to turn into a squeaklet.  The
> app consists of:
>
> * 156K source code (uncompressed)
> * 272K data file (a gzipped lexicon)
> * 30K images (gzipped bmps)
>
> Grand total: 458K
>
> Now, my question is what is the best way to deliver this so as to keep
> the download size and the compilation time smallest?
>
> I don't know much about how to use the image segment stuff - is it
> possible to deliver the source code compiled, rather than downloading
> then fileing it in?

Yes, that should be possible, and it should be the most efficient way. Use
something like

(Project named: 'My Squeaklet')
	exportSegmentWithCatagories: #('Squeaklets-My')
	classes: #(HelperClass)
	fileName: 'mySqueaklet.extSeg'
	directory: FileDirectory default

where 'My Squeaklet' is the name of your project, 'Squeaklets-My' is the
category of all your application classe, HelperClass is another class not
in that category. The result should be an image segment containing all
your application classes and data (including images).

The loader script would load that segment and install it, then enter the
project.

-- Bert