Headless Unix 2.8 VM?

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Mon Dec 18 03:24:06 UTC 2000

I am trying to get up a little SqueakScript image and VM for a little
project of mine.

I am working with a 2.8 image made on my Mac on a Linux machine.  It's
got David Lewis' SqueakScript changeset and OSProcess 1.4 filed in, as
well as selective things executed from #majorShrink.

I tried building a headless VM from the CVS sources from Sourceforge.  the
BUILD text file points to "make headless" being sometihng useful, but
headless isn't defined as a target in any of the Makefiles (even after the
creation of the proper platform directory and running configure).

With no headless target, I tried adding a "#define HEADLESS" to
sqXWindows.h (because it's included by sqUnixMain.c) and to sqCopyImage.h
(because it's included by sqXWindows.c and sqCopyImage.c), in an attempt
to get it to compile.

When I look at sqXWindow.c at the supposedly error-containing lines, it
seems it's using variables which already do exist, and are included
earlier in sqXWindow.c.  The error I get while compiling is so:

root at nubrain:~/svm/i586-pc-linux-gnu# make
gcc -g -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -I. -I../src -I../src/CoreVM
-DSQVERSION="\"2.8a\"" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DUNIX -c ../src/sqXWindow.c
../src/sqXWindow.c: In function `setLazy':
../src/sqXWindow.c:670: `sleepWhenUnmapped' undeclared (first use in this
function)
../src/sqXWindow.c:670: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
../src/sqXWindow.c:670: for each function it appears in.)
../src/sqXWindow.c: In function `ioLoadNextEvent':
../src/sqXWindow.c:1491: `eventBufGet' undeclared (first use in this
function)
../src/sqXWindow.c:1491: `eventBufPut' undeclared (first use in this
function)
../src/sqXWindow.c:1508: `eventBuf' undeclared (first use in this
function)
../src/sqXWindow.c:1514: `EVENTQ_SIZE' undeclared (first use in this
function)
../src/sqXWindow.c: In function `ioGetKeystroke':
../src/sqXWindow.c:1621: warning: unused variable `keystate'
make: *** [sqXWindow.o] Error 1

Anyone have any ideas?  I'd also be fine with just recieving a
pre-compiled headless 2.8 VM. :)

Aaron

Aaron Reichow                   :: "In essence, Smalltalk is a programming
Twin Ports ACM Vice President   ::  language focused on human beings rather
http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/ ::  than the computer." - Alan Knight