A few questions about Squeak for Windows CE/Cassiopea

Smith, Jonathan Arrender jsmith at cognitivearts.com
Tue Dec 26 19:51:56 UTC 2000

Hi Folks:

I am working with a Cassiopea E125 with 32MB RAM.  I downloaded the MIPS
virtual machine from the home page and was able to get it to work with the
mini.image.  I had several problems:

A.  I am able to start the virtual machine and select an image.  As soon as
I load an image, however, the program then falls in to the background.  I
can use "settings/system/memory/running programs" menus and the activate
button to bring the program back to the top.  Things will work from that
point, but the program does not show up with an icon on the top of the start
menu.  If I use another program I can only return to squeak via the memory
settings panel.

B.  When running squeak the start menu shifts from the top (where it usually
is) to the lower right hand corner, and the window partly overlays the
bottom bar (where the typing control lives).

C.  The full 2.7 image loads but does not function well in this environment.
I got several walkbacks when I tried some of the early "Play With Me"
windows.

So some questions:

1.  Is there a more up to date version of the virtual machine for
MIPS/Windows CE?  I suspect most of the problems I have observed have to do
with an out-of-date VM.

2.  Are there other images available for PDAs?  I would be interested having
an image that re-engineers a few of the tools (browsers etc.) so that they
would work well with a tiny display as well as including the morphic
sub-system.

3.  Is there active work on Squeak for Windows CE?  Any hope of updates?  I
am interested in (possibly) using squeak as a delivery means and would be
glad to put some work in to this.

Thanks,

Jonathan A. Smith