Squeak IDE Look-n-Feel

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Fri Dec 15 00:48:59 UTC 2000

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 13:35:47 +1300 (NZDT) "Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
>Dan Ingalls <Dan.Ingalls at disney.com> wrote:
>	1.  Bear in mind, also, that our plan for the next release is
>	that it will not open up as a screen with a bunch of system
>	windows open (hereinafter "IDE"), but rather as a navigable
>	portal to Squeak content on the web
>
>*ARRGH*!
>
>Please bear in mind the needs of Squeakers with unreliable network
>connections (I used to read news a lot, but had to give up) and students
>who are (for sufficiently obvious reasons) not always given off-site
>access.
>
>I don't want to deny the importance of the Web.  Although I note that if
>there is to be such a strong focus on the Web, Scamper could do with a
>few things (like CSS support, is that there yet?) and a whole lot more
>speed.
>
>But the Squeak one downloads and installs *must* be usable as a Smalltalk
>system right out of the box EVEN IF INTERNATIONAL NETWORK CONNECTION IS
>UNAVAILABLE.

Richard,

While I very much like the notion of an image that has web links (which can refer to the most current information) instead of hard-coded descriptions (which may get stale rather quickly), I understand your point. In the same spirit as Dan's requests for alternative IDE (why cannot I get Caesar out of my mind whenever I see that acronym!) examples, let me reiterate my call for examples of the out-of-the-box presentation. Show us what you would like Squeak to be the first time it starts up. Actual images would be great, pictures might suffice, but purely verbal descriptions would be unlikely to succeed.

Cheers,
Bob