Mac file types, was Re: Type Safety (was Re: fun andempowerment)

Les Tyrrell tyrrell at canis.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 3 21:21:36 UTC 2000

"Andrew P. Black" wrote:

> File types are intended to characterize the type of information in
> the file.  Images are not the same thing as changes files.  The VM
> expects an image file, not a changes file.  And I guess that a
> changes file, a sources file and a fileout all have different
> formats, so they should have three different type codes?

No- the .changes, .sources, and file-outs SHOULD be in the same
format.  However, currently this is not quite the case.  This
is due to ( among other things ) a bug which I've just recently
pointed out regarding the storage of class comments.

All are basically the same sort of animal, but store code in what
are basically different "phases" of it's life- initially it is
introduced to you as a file-in, at which point it enters your .changes,
and at some point you could compress your own sources, wherein
it enters .sources .

-les