How Do You Do Business Apps? (Squeak/Pro Proposal)

agree at carltonfields.com agree at carltonfields.com
Sat Feb 26 05:41:30 UTC 2000

> Exactly the point. It takes a team of 10 full time > experienced Squeakers
> for X months to make the system useable for business and support it.
> Squeak has *immense* value if you can make that kind of > commitment. You
> can support it indefinitely on your own. You were very lucky (or
> deserving :-) to get that level of capital and management support, and
> you will succeed because of it.

Of course that is NOT what he said.  He said his people are working on a project, and that Squeak was adequate to their purposes.  He noted that they don't mind spending a half an hour to do a checkbox (once for the duration of the project), compared to the productivity and other benefits he obtained by using Squeak.

> No one here says the entire Squeak system is flawed. The point most
> specifically is that (especially because of Morphic's design) it is
> difficult to make shippable apps doing conventional things without a
> significant investment of additional work beyond a public > download (like
> 2.7). I'd say, at least four person months would be required.

With all due respect, there are many who do the arithmetic differently.  (I am one of them.)  Some of us think that a significant investment *IS AVOIDED* because of the benefits of a public download.  Once again, no other development system offers the combination of ubiquitous distribution for pixel-identical multimedia products found in Squeak.  (And not everyone agrees that Morphic's design is such an albatross.  With all due respect, I have seen people do magic with it.  It may not be the magic you are seeking to do, but de gustibus non disputandum est.)