Common Internet File System?

Charles-A. Rovira crovira at wt.net
Sun Feb 13 05:34:29 UTC 2000

Hello,

it depends on what you mean by common internet file system...

Common communication standards are always a good thing and depending on what
you inten to communicate, you might look at using/adapting/ripping-off :-) XML
but there are others working on this. Look for XML work and align yourself
accordingly. XML has many advantages.

Sharing code between machines without filing-out and in requires a shared
common code base, an object repository, like CSV for Unix/Linux or PVCS for
Windows & OS2, to check-out code, (class and method definitions) so that
collaborators won't clobber changes you might be making and to check-in the
code when you're done unit testing.

That how Visual Smalltalk Enterprise and ENVY/Developper do it and that how its
done for every other document type in addition to code. Don't even think it can
be done any other way. They have all been tried over the past three decades and
this is the _one_ way that has survived...)

If you meant something else by "Common Internet File System" then I may have
been off-base and pointing you to the wrong things. (Since the file system is
an OS function, we're pretty much stuck with the ones installed on the
underlying platforms.)

-Charles-A.