How about Smalltalk-2000?

Stan Heckman stan at stanheckman.com
Wed Feb 16 23:18:03 UTC 2000

John Clonts <jclonts at mastnet.net> writes:

> Which reminds me, how and when did the numeric protocol get into
> String?  I did '123' + '456' and got '579'.  Is that a good Idea?

I'm not sure whether it is better than no definition at all, but I do
think this definition is better than concatenation. Long ago Guido
said in comp.lang.python that he wished he hadn't defined '123' +
'456' to be '123456', because concatenation was enough different from
addition to cause troubles in Numeric Python. Squeak's present
definition for addition of strings is at least commutative. :-)

--
Stan