The Mysterious Secret Society "Squeak Central" andMorphicWidgets

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Fri Feb 11 16:44:45 UTC 2000

Giovanni Giorgi <giovanni.giorgi at mlab.disco.unimib.it> wrote...
>I agree with Dan Ingalls, but I have had the same problems of  Daniel Allan Joyce.

You mean were afraid to ask about what's going on at Squeak Central?

Seriously, guys, all you have to do is ask.  If we have answered recently,
we'll point you at the message.  If we haven't, then we'll give an update.

>I think the problem can be solved with a simple idea.
>We should provide more mailing list:
>
>  1. A "devel" mailing list only with bug report, fix and so on
>  2. A "discussion" mailing list about Crusoe, PDAs and new feature we want in the a language.
>  3. A moderated and  "ufficial" squeak central mailing list with report of current works, references to pepole to ask for adding efforts, and so on.

With all due respect, this is an issue that gets about 20 messages every 4 or 5 months.  It's true that the list sometimes gets a bit verbose, but so far it has always quieted down before long.  Most people enjoy the variety of coverage.  And speaking for myself, I don't have enough extra organizational energy to deal with three possibly overlapping mail lists about Squeak.  If you want a database of ongoing projects, a mail list is not the right medium anyway (see below).  Of course, I can be shouted down, and if this happens, then obviously it is time to split the Squeak mailing list.

>We are a lot, and we live in all the world!!
>(A news group is too open for the moment, in my own opinion but can be an alternative)
>Web Server can be used, but I think a mailing list is preferred, because it can furnish a constant support to the programmers.
>For example, if I'd like to develop a code for multi-language support Squeak, who must I ask information, suggestions? HOW can I know if someone is doing this thing?
>Must I  post a request to the big squeak-mess-mailing list? Or bombard Ingalls with questions?
>*****No, of course!

I disagree completely.  I can think of numerous examples (Linda, Prolog, Natural Language, MP3, Quicktime, etc) where truly the best solution was to ask everyone.  We at SqC often have useful answers, but frequently there are several other lurkers or experts in that area who give much better responses.  This is what's great about a community, and this is how you tap that energy.  Simple queries and clear responses about ongoing work have NEVER been a problem on this list.

That all said, I hear your concern.  I can tell that something is missing.

 Last summer, I set up a couple of pages on the GA Tech swiki dealing with Squeak Central Projects.  I think that with just a little tweaking, this would help you a lot (with the need to know what's going on, not with the need to "*Talk* a lot" ;-).

I will do what I said about summarizing our activities, but I will also figure out a way to incorporate it into the swiki so that anyone who can recognize a "Squeak Central Projects" will get their questions answered.  The improvements I will try to make in this area are...

	Simplify the structure of the entries

	Include stuff we are doing internally

	Bring the topics current and update them more frequently
	Each will end "if it looks like this topic is out of date
	please update it and/or send Dan a message".

	Encourage the other folks working on projects of significance
	to maintain a similar entry close by in the swiki (I haven't had a
	chance to review this, but it used to be that way)

Please give us a week or two to put things in shape.  I'll try to start with the topics you originally asked about so you get some answers sooner than that.  If it's still a problem when we're done, we can talk more.

Other folks with coherent projects on the outside:  Perhaps you could put in an hour or two over the coming week to install or update an entry in the Squeak Projects area of the swiki with a useful summary of goals and status of your work.

Thanks
	- Dan