Mac file types, was Re: Type Safety (was Re: fun and empowerment)

Andrew P. Black black at cse.ogi.edu
Wed Feb 2 22:44:33 UTC 2000

Just out of interest, I looked to see what VW does on the Mac.

VW has a creator code of HPS4.  This is registered at Apple, but not in the
TCDB.  (Squeak has code FAST, which is also registered at Apple, but not in
the TCDB).

VW fileouts have type TEXT.  The changes file also has type TEXT.  But the
sources file is type SRCS  (also not in the TCDB) and the image is type
HPS4 (same as the creator code).

As distributed, the VW changes file is small, so making that and fileouts
TEXT would seem to make sense, so that they can be examined with a text
editor.  I have no idea what they do with the CR/LF translation problem.

Using SRCS for the Squeak sources and changes files would seem to be a
reasonable option.

While we are talking about making Squeak more Mac-friendly, what would it
take to make the VM respond to the QUIT event from MacOS.   So that the
machine will close-down cleanly when the user presses the shutdown button.
QUIT is one of the "compulsory" AppleEvents, I thought ...

Of course, this change would not be platform independent, but presumably PC
and Unix users would like the equivalent functionality.

	Andrew

	Andrew