[ENH] SimpleXYGraphMorph

ssadams at us.ibm.com ssadams at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 16 19:12:58 UTC 2000

Andreas,
I filed in the plot package and it contained lots of references to other
MorphicWrapper (MW) classes, so I assumed it was dependent on them.  I was
hoping to find a simple, standalone example of the plotter that didn't
require MW, all of your wonderful math objects, and a PhD in math to boot.
It may be there, but I missed it.  And after loading MW into a clean image,
I noticed the base image changes it makes are substantial (understandable,
given its intent), and that some of the MW features like typing "in the
air" can add additional function overloading to the already overloaded
mouse input model for Morphic.  In fact, given our recent discussions about
the personalization menu and the "one button mafia", I found that yet
another set of meanings for a mouse click on the desktop to be too much.  I
do have a MW demo image that I use to show unbelievers one of the many
really cool things you can do with Squeak, but for my application it was
too much for too little function(that I needed).

Is the plot package intended to be useful as is without MW?  If so, perhaps
you could remove the MW dependencies, perhaps in a subclass distributed
only with MW, and provide a few standalone examples?  Note that I really
don't need function plotting, just a way to scale and display one or more
collections of points.

Reagrds,
Sam

Andres Valloud <sqrmax at cvtci.com.ar>  wrote:
<<
Hi Sam.

> Here's a simple morph for XY data graphs.  I looked at the wonderfully
rich
> plot morphs in Morphic Wrappers, but found the overhead a bit high when
all
> I wanted was a simple XY display with scales.

Thanks for giving the MorphicWrappers and its projects a try! Why did
you find the overhead for the Function Plotters is a bit high?

Andres.

Sam S. Adams, IBM Distinguished Engineer, IBM Research
tie line 444-0736, outside 919-254-0736, email: ssadams at us.ibm.com
<<Hebrews 11:6, Proverbs 3:5-6, Romans 1:16-17, I Corinthians 1:10>>