[Goodie] fontDisplay (was Re: Standard Squeak Font Encodings)

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Wed Feb 2 12:50:21 UTC 2000

At 11:46 AM +0100 2/2/2000, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:
>
> > >I'd vote for switching to ISO Latin-1 because it is one of the
> > >best-documented encodings (it's almost impossible to find a Mac encoding
> > >chart on the web). Besides, codes from 128 to 159 are "free" so we can put
> > >special characters there.
> >
> > I'm not married to the status quo, but this reasoning seems to me
> > problematic.  It was trivial for me to find the MacRoman chart on
> > web
>
>How was I supposed to know to search for a "Macintosh Standard Roman"
>character set?

You weren't.  I suggested going to Apple/technical publications/Text.
The table you wanted was in Appendix A.  I found the references on
google using the search  "macintosh font encoding".  Many other
searches work.  I wasn't saying you did anything wrong, I was simply
arguing that it is far from "almost impossible" to find a mac
encoding chart on the web.

> All I ever heard was "Squeak uses Mac encoding" and there
>seem to be several. Now I found an ISO/Mac conversion table - thanks for
>the pointer:
>	http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/mac/Text/Text-516.html
>Is this what Squeak uses?

More or less, but see for yourself.  After fileIn of the .st above,
execute the following doIt to display a "quick-and-easy" font and
encoding chart:

	((TextConstants at: #TimesRoman) fontArray at: 3) fontDisplay

> > If we do change encodings, some machine-independent
> > facility will need to be implemented across platforms to assure that
> > keycodes/screen glyphs conform to expectations uniformly, or we need
> > to be willing to adopt a different approach.
>
>That's what is currently done an all platforms except Mac. For example,
>the Unix VM converts keyboard events from Iso to Mac and for cut/paste it
>converts both ways. We use a hand-crafted reversible mapping for this

What do you do for the characters that are in Mac, but not in Iso,
and vice-versa?