Class comments (was Re: ProtoObject?)

Stan Heckman stan at stanheckman.com
Wed Feb 9 21:55:14 UTC 2000

Comanche (and some other packages) put the startup directions in the
fileIn. This works pretty well when we first file them in, maybe not
so well months later. And newbies might not know that it is there at
all.

Robert Hirschfeld took a different approach in his port of SUnit. He
added a system category named SUnit-Documentation, containing a class
that has only a comment, no methods. I don't know if Robert found this
idea elsewhere or invented it himself, but it sure worked well for
me. As soon as the new package appeared in my browser, my mouse was
drawn to the -Documentation category like a magnet :-). To read the
package comment, I didn't have to learn a new gesture or learn the
meaning of a new icon. The only skill I had that a newbie might not
have was knowing that I had to change from "instance" to "?"  to read
class comments.

If we adopt some new support for package comments, I hope it will
require as little learning as Robert Hirschfeld's *-Documentation
system category.

The price we pay for this friendliness is clutter in the system
category list. If using the default 5 pane browser, the system
category list shows several packages at once, and Robert's convention
would consume one line in the system category list for each package.
Harder to learn conventions for package documentation could certainly
consume less screen space. Maybe someone can dream up a scheme as
newbie friendly as the *-Documentation convention that takes less real
estate.

--
Stan