Files

Andres Valloud sqrmax at cvtci.com.ar
Mon Feb 14 07:57:26 UTC 2000

Hi Andreas.

> Opening files multiple times works as long as one [as long as all
> but one] of the copies is read-only. This prevents accidentally
> destroying a file while it's in use.

I need to make heavy use of a large file that is logically divided in
different sections, and I need to read/write different sections all the
time. The problem is that FileStream>>position: imposes a considerable
overhead I would like to avoid... it also brings problems of design
since I cannot use the fact that the file has multiple streams on it.
Things would be certainly uglier if I had to do with a single
FileStream.

I thought I would be able to avoid that by using several FileStreams
over the same file, but it is not possible. Yet... at least Windows NT
does allow multiple destructive file accesses by different programs. Is
the restriction imposed by Squeak, by the VM, or by Windows?

Andres.