help - minor dilemma

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Feb 11 15:52:56 UTC 2000

I'm interested too

>Ken collins wrote:
> 3) I am VERY interested in experiences of TEACHING ST to students ranging
> from grades 7 to 12. I am preparing to replace the current "computer"
> teacher here: this is his last quarter. He is also the C++/VB/Access guy who
> is convinced that ST is a funky dead end road (see the BET in #2 above)!!!
> He has expressed that he would be "disappointed" if I were to start teaching
> ST when he leaves. After all, he has sparked interest among students in MS
> ACCESS and VBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh my....  :)

I started with my wife some lectures using a logo turtle with Squeak (extended
pen class).
I made a browser for children (no metaclasses, some categories not removable)

Now one of the student here made the turtle a morphic object (but there are
still some minor problems) and an enhanced workspace.

We have been teaching them the following concepts:
	- instructions (left right go:....)
	- relative moves (turning, going)
	- loop (timesRepeat:)
	- variables

They like that a lot
We are planning to
	- ask them to write lectures for other children :)
	- ask them to create the most beautiful picture and create a gallery ;)
Because they want to play with THE NET ;)

The next topics are
	- reuse units of code (methods or procedure I do not know how to call
them because we did not introduce the concept of classe)
	- arguments
	- 'method composition'
	- absolute move (goAt:)
	- other types of loops
	- conditional
	- recursion

	- after we may teach them objects

One the key point was that we never introduced new syntax and try to
be as close as the Squeak (ST) way of doiong things so that children could
look around within having to learn yet another stuff.

I will udpate the scripts (in french but the code is in Squeak) next week
an put the last version of the code at:
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/WebPages/Teaching.html#turtle