Common Internet File System

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Sun Feb 13 22:43:17 UTC 2000

At 10:05 13.02.00 +0530, Mayuresh A Kathe wrote:

>So I assume that I'll have to work on this alone, I wouldn't mind that but
>would like to know whether it would really be useful to have an
>implementation of the CIFS for Squeak, whether sharing files across
>computers via squeak would really help us in collaboration.

In general, I agree that any kind of effort to make Squeak to interface
other system is a good idea.  I had a quick look at the web page you
mentioned and saw that despides the name, the CIFS is a proposal from
Microsoft.  It's an extension of their SMB protocol so it needs a tool like
SAMBA on all but Microsoft platforms.  This leads to the question whether
this "standard" is really "common internet filesystem".

An alternative might be NFS or the Andrew File System (but I know nothing
about that)

Still, it seems possible to create an implementation of SMB in pure Java
and so it might be possible to create a similar implementation in Squeak,
too.  The Java source was quite large, so it seems to me that this isn't a
weekend's project.

Interfacing with at least Windows machines is definitely a plus IMHO.
Perhaps this would solve the problem that at the moment, not even UNC names
are supported by the VM and by the Squeak system as for example the file list!

>Also would like to know if there is any way to directly share code between
>two machines running squeak without first having to fileout and then filein?

Not yet.  You can (either now or in near future) probably exchange image
segments containing projects over the internet.  Some guys are also working
on CVS support for Squeak I think.  The LindaTalk system (which is probably
an implementation of a LindaSpace which came to a broader attention as
JavaSpaces, a Sun Jini technology) might provide another solution to
exchange objects via an object space server.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf.