Squeak (ST80) syntax

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Wed Feb 16 20:20:29 UTC 2000

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Stefan Elisa Kapusniak wrote:
>
> >    It's sort of like having to pretend you're the object
> >    to work out what's going on or what to say.  I think
> >    this might act as a hurdle -- tho' I don't have any
> >    evidence of it.
> I strongly LIKE the idea of pretending I am the object. It makes the
> whole system work for me. It's all a part of of feeling ownership in the system.

I strongly agree. When you're writing code with self you are normally
creating methods *inside* the object - you are literally playing the
role of the object and how it actually gets things done (how it "thinks"
if you are willing to stretch it that far). You *are* the object,
Grasshopper.

> I very strongly like the syntax as it is. The only thing I've ever found
> that irritates is the lack of some way to do 'super-super' message
> sending. You must have hit the situation where you really want to
> inherit the method from a couple of classes up but an intermediate class
> has overridden? grr.

Just so long as you don't start wanting a super-super-super and a
super-super-super-super and a .... :-) Maybe super could become "hop",
super-super could be "skip", and super-super-super would, of course, be
"jump". (I'm kidding, I'm kidding - mostly.)

-- Dwight