Time to revisit newsgroup status

Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent) Jarvisb at timken.com
Thu Feb 17 19:38:42 UTC 2000

I no longer have news access, so this would cut me off like an axe.  I would
find this distressing.

DejaNews is not an answer.  Deja.com is slow, awkward, and even with their
vaunted multi-feed system *still* misses messages.  I can't get through our
firewall to other Web-based newsfeeds because they insist on embedding chat
gateways in their homepage, which our firewall objects to.

Above and beyond my personal concerns, newsgroups are by nature unreliable.
Even when I had a decent newsfeed I know I missed articles because I'd find
messages replying to other messages I never saw.  In sound-bite form, news
sucks.

Stick with the mailing list, and use filters to redirect stuff
appropriately.

And you're right, Bijan, it *is* the damn groundhog's fault...  :-)

Bob Jarvis
Compuware @ Timken