Language - Squeak - Parts

Göran Hultgren gohu at rocketmail.com
Sun Feb 20 14:26:21 UTC 2000

(thinking back...)

--- Stefan Matthias Aust <sma at 3plus4.de> wrote:
[SNIP]
> Apropos extendable languages.  Forth is IMHO the best extendable language
> ever designed.  Programming in Forth is making up new words by combining
> existing words until your program is a simple (but complex) word.

Oh yes. Forth. Brings back fuzzy warm feelings from when I started programming.
It was the first language I learned that was extensible and wow, what a revelation.

I recall a small forth-based homecomputer at the time called "Jupiter Ace", I never got one - but
I remember I came close to buying one. Did any of you ever possess one of those?

Then Scheme/Lisp came along and gave the same feeling when I started studying CS and later
Smalltalk joined the ranks.

For the moment I am hacking some advanced Postscript generation for a customer and realized that
that too was "forth based". Funny, had never really looked close enough at postscript to realize
that before...

regards, Göran

=====
Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
icq#:6136722, GSM: +46 709 472152, http://www.bluefish.se
"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you. Then you win." -- Gandhi