[OT] "(C)" (Re: [LOOONG] Re: Roles (Re: Category Theory and Dynamic Object

Jesse Welton jwelton at pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu
Tue Feb 15 13:22:47 UTC 2000

Andrew C. Greenberg wrote:

> >(c) 2000 Henrik Gedenryd. All rights reserved.
> >
> >( ^ Well, that's what happens when you have a lawyer on the list :-)
>
> Hey, don't blame me!  Were I consulted, I would observe that the
> copyright notice is statutorily defective in the United States, which
> only recognizes
>
> 	"Copyright"
> 	"Copr."
> and the c-in-circle symbol.

Now, what I don't understand is how all this applies to electronically
encoded text.  There is no c-in-a-circle symbol on a stream of bits.
It's all a matter of how that stream is interpreted to produce an
image.  But there are multiple views of a given stream of bits.  For
instance, if you look at it in a hex editor, you're pretty much
guaranteed not to find the c-in-a-circle symbol.  Is HTML's ©
sufficient?  Viewed in a recent enough HTML interpreter, it shows up
as c-in-a-circle.  But viewed in a plain text editor, it shows up as
the non-legally-binding "©"?  A Mac c-in-a-circle character will
show up as garbage on a PC.  (And so-on.)  So why isn't (c) a
recognized representation of c-in-a-circle?  Since character encoding
tables and such are not governmentally-defined documents, it ought to
be possible to make it recognized without changing the law, right?

-Jesse