Yet another ARM powered handheld with squeak potential (?)

Joern Eyrich Joern.Eyrich at brokat.com
Tue Feb 22 19:03:03 UTC 2000

I tried to send something about it on friday, but it obviously got bungled up in the weekend maillist troubles...

> I could make out something about 16Mb, winCE (euch) 640 at 480, 8bpp screen and
> 2000DM price (about $1000 it seems).  wonder if you can put Linux on it...

heise says their director of development "can imagine" future models with Linux or Bluetooth modules
"mass production" will start after CeBIT

here's my original post:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
another news item from www.heise.de:
Hoeft & Wessel will introduce their "Webpanel" at CeBIT
see http://www.hoeft-wessel.com/ under "News"

info:
StrongARM 1110, 220MHz
16MB RAM
built-in GSM or DECT wireless comms module (which means 9.6Kbit/s AFAIK)
640x480 Touch Screen, 256 colors
price <2000 DM (~$1000)
serial port
board is prepared for parallel & ethernet ports, but the first version will not offer them
Windows CE
possible plans for the future: linux, bluetooth module

hm, 4x the screen size of a handheld pda, but not even a PCMCIA slot or something like that...
but more and more interesting machines seem to crop up as of late - let's see how this develops

joern