How Do You Do Business Apps? (Morphic Design Philosophy)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Feb 26 15:30:18 UTC 2000

On Sat, Feb 26, 2000 at 01:06:50AM -0500, Paul Fernhout wrote:

> I still find Morphic awkward -- it just feels too complicated compared
> to say TK or Delphi, and perhaps slower than it needs be. But, I'll give
> it another chance.

Just as a side comment, I'd like to point out that it is very easy to
provide a "business" user interface with a web browser. Just build something
on top of PWS. I'm no expert, but I was able to put together a web
application, complete with multi-user session support and the usual
web browser widgetry, in short order. I started out with some html
files which I expected to call some snippets of Smalltalk, but quickly
found myself moving the whole thing into Smalltalk, at which point
I discovered that I had accidently created a high performance,
multi-user, buzzword-compliant application. Give it a try.

Dave