[newbie] clipped method display in system browser

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Feb 29 01:22:39 UTC 2000

Bob Arning <arning at charm.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2000 20:28:20 -0500 "Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> >It's just the Mac distribution which has this particular gotcha.  Is
> >there really no way to work around this?  Has anyone tried setting the
> >app-type-thingy to something other than TEXT and seeing if StuffIt will
> >still do it's auto-conversion?
>
> Umm... I think it's more than just Mac, at least in some cases. I have seen Linux ftp clients do a conversion from CR to LF.

True, but it's much worse on Macs due to the "smartness".  If you ftp
with ascii mode, then probably *all* of your files will be corrupted,
and so you'll notice it pretty quickly.  StuffIt only corrupts one of
the files, and so the error goes undetected for a while.

Well anyway, perhaps changing the type to "STdb" will fix things.

By the way, there are replacements for the stock ftp client, which
default to binary mode instead of ascii mode.  I find this to be much
nicer.  "ncftp" is one such client, and it comes installed on most Linux
systems.

Lex