super super

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Wed Feb 16 21:36:31 UTC 2000

Hi Yoshiki & friends.

On Feb. 16, 2000 2:21 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima [ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp] wrote:
<snip> "When I was writing #addCustomMenuItems:hand: for a morph, I wish I
could write something like

   super super addCustomMenuItems: aCustomMenu hand: aHandMorph.

at the top of the method.  The intention was to bypass the superclass'
#addCustomMenuItems but want to call the supersuperclass' one before adding
my own menu items."  <snip>

I have to admit that I've always wanted a super super construct.  I have had
several (admittedly poorly factored) cases where I wanted to get back to the
original implementation of a method (Object>>something) and I was stuck
cutting & pasting the code into my subclass.

Perhaps what is needed is an easy way to directly reference a superclass
method?  I can imagine that 3 or 4 supers in a row would get tedious, but
what about something that worked like this:

   self allSuperclasses first doSomething

maybe:

   self performSuperclassMethod: #doSomething using: Object

An intriguing subject.  Cheers!

---==> Chris