Mac filetype (was Re: Type Safety (was Re: funandempowerment))

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sat Feb 5 06:08:25 UTC 2000

Bijan Parsia wrote:

> I don't think Andreas was suggesting that we embed *changes* in the image
> as one runs, but that *for the sake of distribution* to include the changes
> file "in the image" such that, when you install it, it writes out the
> changes file. Since only Squeak touches it, we can be sure it doesn't get
> munged.
This would be a good move, since not only would it (probably!) prevent
the CRLF problem, but would be a good opportunity to add something I
have campaigned for for  long time; the first time a distribution image
starts up it should loudly encourage the user to _save it under a new
name_. 'corruption' of the delivery image is a real pain. It would be
useful to be able to save to a different directory as well -
particularly for Unix, where it wouldbe nice to have the delivery image
start from /usr/local/squeak (or whatever) and be saved to ~MrUser/Squeak/2.7

I offered a set of changes to allow the cross-dir saving ages ago, don't
know if it is still around anywhere.

tim