NetNameResolver problems...

Robert Withers withers at vnet.net
Sun Feb 6 21:18:44 UTC 2000

Bob Arning wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Feb 2000 14:56:22 -0500 Dino <deanmao at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> >On my linux box, after initializing the network, NetNameResolver
> >localAddressString only returns to me '127.0.0.1' when it should return
> >my other ip address.  It looks like a VM problem perhaps, because this
> >works fine on the macs, but not on the unix vm?
>
> Dino,
>
> I've seen this in Linux as well. There is a file (not being Linux-aware, I can't tell you it's name) that Linux uses to convert a local host name to ip address. Fixing this file solved the problems that I saw.

yep.  That's the hosts file.  Try /etc/hosts.  One thing though - I use
my laptop both off- and on-line so I pretty much need localhost to refer
to '127.0.0.1'.  I don't have any time to go for this, right now, but
there could be some nice work for someone with the the NetNameResolver.
It could be extended (on Unix, Windows and perhaps Mac, I don't know) to
be able to make system (exec) calls to ifconfig and route.  This means
it would be net interface aware.  A good thing.  Actually, I suppose the
thing to do would be to implement routed and named, to give us routing
and a DNS service

cheers,
Rob