Database connectivity anyone?

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Tue Feb 15 19:54:56 UTC 2000

>Yes, database connectivity is very important.  I'd be interested in it, too.

At least for those of us who have to do boring business application instead
of fun multimedia stuff ;-)

>[...] My schedule is a bit tighter, and
>while I intend to keep Squeak-compatible copies of all the stuff I do, my
>development environment is Dolphin.  Having a database connection was
>crucial in my choice of Dolphin, but, clearly, while I can provide
client-side
>Squeak versions of my Dolphin applets, on the server I need to remain
>pure Dolphin because of the database hook.  I am also intrigued by
>Dolphin's game programming and Web hooks, as well as their link to
>the Logo Bot,

I know and like Dolphin very much, but unfortunately, it's Windows only and
I need something that runs on Solaris (or hopefully not WhateverBSD).

>The other possibility is to make an XML interface for Squeak, and rely
>on some third leg tool to go between the XML and your database of
>choice.  Peter William Lount at http://xml.smalltalk.org (peter@
>smalltalk.org) is urging XML as a Smalltalk medium, although initially
>he's talkin' source representations.

I'm still not convinced that XML is THE solution.  It's an ugly syntax for
structured data one could have (and had) expressed in Lisp or Prolog for 20
years or so.  It's more difficult to parse than Lisp and but as compact.

Interoperability is just a matter of an agreement of DTDs but not because
of the < > notation.  Furthermore, to stop the ranting, I need a small and
compact solution which is ideally a one-click application without the need
to install other tools.

>http://www.indelv.com/ has a Smalltalk interface.

Does this support a validating parser?  A very simple XML reader and writer
is also included with Comanche already.  These classes however doesn't
feature a SAX-style callback parser however.  But one could probably easily
add a treewalking visitor-pattern-thing which is IMHO even better for
dealing with non-trivial XML data.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf.