Class comments (was Re: ProtoObject?)

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Wed Feb 9 17:54:26 UTC 2000

On Wed, 09 Feb 2000 17:37:02 +0100 Henrik Gedenryd <Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se> wrote:
>Don't forget that any comment is better than none

Well, I don't want to start a flame war here, but I have seen plenty of comments that had negative value. Some were simply in error: usually due to code changes not reflected in changed comments, but occasionally wrong from the outset. Others contributed less information than the visual and mental bandwidth they tended to consume.

What I am interested in seeing in comments are those things that are hardest to glean from the code with current tools:

- why is this thing needed
- how would one typically use it

What I am less interested in seeing would be names of variables, their expected contents and narratives of method functionality.

Cheers,
Bob