Squeak 2.7 on HP Jornada 690 (SH3 Windows CE)

Francois Le Coguiec francois_le_coguiec at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 21 04:24:40 UTC 2000

Hello,

I downloaded the VM following the link to
ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak/2.7/Squeak2.7-winCE-SH3.zip from
http://www.squeak.org/#download.

I was able to unzip and install the files, and start Squeak...
(with the same initial comments as Ed on the z50 in
http://www.egroups.com/group/squeak/11207.html? )
But unfortunately in my case it doesn't quite work.
1) On startup, I get the display as shown in the first image (see attached
zip file), and the whole thing just sits there hanging. (Looks like a
debugger traceback... but I'm still too much of a newbie to know what it
means.)
2) At this point when I hit a key, I am able to "continue" out of the
debugger (although the traceback doesn't go away), and I get to the display
shown on image 2, showing the "Welcome To..." window.
3) At this point many menus with CTRL-Click and ALT-Click work, as shown on
image 3... But as soon as I try to move or resize a window, things hang
again... and that's it, I eventually have to kill the Squeak task.

Oh, and another thing (Not quite as bad): It seems that the Display thinks
it has more resolution than my CE device provides. I'm hoping that I could
solve this by opening the image on my Windows NT desktop, changing a
parameter, saving it and overwriting the CE one... but I'm not sure.

Can anybody help? It is extremely painful to be so *close* to running
Squeak.
-Francois-