Mail system (aka Security System)

JArchibald at aol.com JArchibald at aol.com
Thu Feb 24 20:36:13 UTC 2000

=> 2/24/00 2:08:17 PM EST, lex at cc.gatech.edu =>
<< First, there is a security problem: people should only be able to read
messages sent to themselves, messages they have sent, and (!) messages that
are quoted in messages sent to them. >>

Lex,

If I haven't misunderstood the problem which you are discussing (it wouldn't
be the first time), you are proposing that the mailing list have visibility
limited to those who are subscribers to the mailing list, and additionally
must meet a set of visibility rules. I must heartily disagree. I have learned
more from other's postings (and topics) than most topics that I have
participated in.

The solution would encourage everyone to make a reply to all topics on the
list, even though they have nothing substantive to contribute.

To examine this a little further, how does the first reply to a message
happen. No one can see the first message (in the topic) because (1) it wasn't
sent to them, (2) they haven't yet replied to it, and (3) they probably
weren't quoted.

Correct me if I'm wrong. It seems to me that visibility of open research has
substantial benefits that far outweigh intrusive security rules.

Cheers,
Jerry.