How Do You Do Business Apps? (Squeak/Pro Proposal)

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Fri Feb 25 23:40:22 UTC 2000

At 23:29 -0800 2/24/2000, Michael_Chean wrote:
>Another thread asked the question how to make Squeak more approachable by
>newbies (like myself).  I think the presentation of how one would make a
>form, place a button and
>textfield on the form and have them do something would present an example
>that the majority of programmers out there would understand.

Try the attached ButtonAndText demo. It's simple and shows how to open a window with one button and one text field. Type a class name in the text field and press the button. A class browser will popup for that class. If you mistype, nothing will happen.

Invoke:  ButtonAndText new openInWindow

or: ButtonAndText new openInWorld

There is no MVC anywhere, just morphs.

Morphic is relatively undocumented as yet; Squeak Central has indicated that function comes first, then documentation. Dig in a while, look at code (games, morphs, demos) and try writing some. It's surprisingly easy to create a new morph that does something quite different. (See the BlobMorph as a random example :).

Good luck,

Dave