A peek outside of Squeak.

Benjamin Pollack bluegecko at ameritech.net
Sat Feb 26 19:39:37 UTC 2000

> For those of you who sometimes need to do things outside of the
> Squeak VM, have tried Python... I just wanted to mention Ruby:
> http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/library/ruby.html
>
> (I found it to be as close to Smalltalk as you can get)
> -Francois-

That depends on whether you're talking about syntax or functionality, but in
either case I think TOM (http://www.gerbil.org/tom/) probably wins against
Ruby on both accounts.  Concentrating more on the functionality than the
syntax, I think you can't ignore Dylan, which has many of the same design
concepts as Smalltalk and Self, even though it does have a radically altered
syntax.  To be honest, I don't even really see why you think Ruby is that
Smalltalk like.

Just my $0.02.
--

Nobody will ever need more than 640 kB RAM.
        -- Bill Gates, 1983