Category Theory and Dynamic Object Document Browsing

Les Tyrrell tyrrell at canis.uiuc.edu
Sat Feb 12 01:53:12 UTC 2000

Alek,

I like your thoughts about using category theory in Smalltalk!

I'm not actually familiar with Category theory, but in the past
I've thought of trying something where inheritance did not run
through classes, but through Roles.  Classes would then be
constructed by composing Roles- I thought that this might be one
way to achieve some of the benefits of multiple inheritance
without getting clobbered by some of the side-effects.  That was
a long time ago, though.  I have no idea what you would run into
trying to do something like that, but I believe that it can be
done without changing the vm within a Smalltalk such as Squeak
or in VisualWorks.

Also, I've set up a Wiki on the subject of Direct Interaction.
It lives at:

	http://oasis.canis.uiuc.edu:8080/DirectInteraction

Like most of my VWiki's, it's kinda short on content right now,
but hope springs eternal.

Also, thanks to those of you who replied to my original message
about this.  I've put your comments up on the above VWiki, but
if you don't want them there feel free to remove them- or to
add something, for that matter.

Thanks!

-les