Visual Basic? HyperCard? An early morning ramble.

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Mon Feb 28 13:44:45 UTC 2000

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000 07:07:56 -0500 "Jay Carlson" <nop at nop.com> wrote:
>My favorite is when you select the wrong level of morph to manipulate---like
>the text, rather than the scrolling view that surrounds it.  The first time
>I did this, I said "wow! look at all the generality in the system!".  The
>second time, it made me wonder "is there some way of automatically locking
>substructure that an app isn't dealing with?".  The third time I just got
>annoyed.  I'm still trying to get my head around Paragraph, so these kinds
>of changes in Morphic are beyond me for the moment.

Jay,

I don't think this change would be particularly difficult to implement. What's tricky is knowing which morphs the user might wish to have locked out of all the morphs that exist in the world at a given time. Locking everything in a bowser, e.g., is not hard, but if the user wants some parts of the browser locked and others not, the devil is in defining which is which. Do you have further thoughts/examples of what those might be in your case?

Cheers,
Bob