Alice99

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Wed Feb 9 11:57:06 UTC 2000

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Aran Lunzer wrote:

> > Here are the results from my machine (PII 400Mhz, ATI Rage LT AGPx2),
> > running Squeak 2.7 in fullscreen mode on Win98:
> ..
> > 1024x768x16:  (  65  601  684  458  424 )
> > 1024x768x32:  ( 114 1099 1192 898 239 )
>
> Heavens - I seem to have been living in a slightly different world.
> Using either Solaris or IRIX versions running on a heavy-duty server and
> displaying remotely through X Window (which works like a dream for
> VisualWorks), a single full-screen refresh takes around 6 seconds -
> i.e., for the suggested benchmark my numbers are around the 60000 mark.

Running Squeak remotely generally is a Bad Idea. If you really need to,
someone recommended using VNC (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/) which
is way faster in transferring bitmaps than the X protocol.

For comparison here are my local numbers under Linux, PII/400, 3DLabs
Permedia2 gfx (PCI), 15bit depth, shared memory (squeak -xshm):
	(8->693 16->762 32->921 )
which is not that bad compared to Andreas' numbers.

Here's the code (the X port doesn't support all bit depths:

Display supportedDisplayDepths collect:[:depth|
        Display newDepth: depth.
        Smalltalk garbageCollect.
        depth -> (Time millisecondsToRun:[
           10 timesRepeat:[Display forceToScreen]])].

  -Bert-