super super

demiourgos at smalltalk.org demiourgos at smalltalk.org
Mon Feb 21 23:00:24 UTC 2000

On Thu, 17 February 2000, "Norton, Chris" wrote:

[snip]

> Well, sure....  Refactoring is easy when you've got the time and the freedom
> to do so (not to mention a simple class hierarchy).  I wouldn't generally
> promote the deliberate obfuscation of code through the means of a super
> super or some other superclass method redirection scheme.  Clearly, the
> right thing to do is to clean up the badly factored code.
>
> However, there are times when you are working on an existing system that is
> actually being sold and is thus full of old, fragile, but tested and
> predictable code.  When you are given a bug to fix, sometimes it is not
> appropriate to refactor your class hierarchy.  In fact, it is often the case
> that the directive is:  Just do a quick fix -- we'll re-architect the system
> in the next release.

Well, I'd say this kind of incremental "We'll fix it next time" is how
the mess gets started in the first place.  IMO, of course.  --jtg

[snip]

> ---==> Chris

  Jan Theodore Galkowski          algebraist.com/
  www.whysmalltalk.com/        www.smalltalk.org/
  demiourgos at smalltalk.org       marssociety.org/
  PGP Key Fingerprint: 2757 F86D AA51 677D 38D7
                       964B 9A8D 7852 A494 3790
  Get my Public Key from my home page at:
      http://algebraist.com/