Syntax Silliness

Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent) Jarvisb at timken.com
Tue Feb 22 19:49:17 UTC 2000

"To Anacreon in Heaven", of course:

	To Anacreon in heav'n where he sat in full glee
	A few sons of harmony sent a petition
	That he their inspirer and patron would be
	When this answer arrived from the jolly old Grecian
	Voice, fiddle, and flute, no longer be mute
	I'll lend ye my name and inspire ye to boot
	And besides I'll instruct ye, like me, to entwine
	The myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's vine

	Ye sons of Anacreon, then join hand in hand
	Preserve unanimity, friendship and love
	'Tis yours to support what so happily planned
	Ye've the sanction of gods and the fiat of Jove
	While thus we agree, our toast let it be
	May our blood flourish happy, united and free
	And long may the sons of Anacreon entwine
	The myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's vine

Francis Scott Key, as fine a musical plagiarist as ever there was, borrowed
the tune for a little ditty he wrote while in prison, observing the
bombardment of a fort near (IIRC) Baltimore during the War of 1812.

Hmmm...  I  wonder what might have happened if, instead of living at the
beginning of the 19th century, Mr. Key had lived in the late 20th century.
Can you imagine the national anthem the U.S. would have if he'd been
watching an AC/DC concert when inspiration struck..?  :-)

Bob Jarvis
Compuware @ Timken