Standard Squeak Font Encodings

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at hermes.otago.ac.nz
Mon Feb 7 00:18:26 UTC 2000

Yoshiki Ohshima wrote
	  Umm, I didn't know this "Unicode compression".  Would you
	give me a reference?  I just hope it is not going to be
	popular:-)

Unicode Technical Report #6
A Standard Compression Scheme for Unicode
http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr6

	  The best way I'm imagining is that we keep the current
	glyphs for the first 128 code points, but switch to use the
	right part of Latin-1 encoding as soon as possible.  Then
	wait for someone to (re-)engage the multilingual project and
	more exhaustive solution:-)

To be honest about this, provided NEL is avoided, the C1 controls
seem like a pretty safe place to put things.  Microsoft are of that
opinion:  the normal Windows code page these days ("Windows Latin 1",
code page 1252) is basically Latin 1 with a bunch of extra characters in
the C1 area, but, and this is the good bit:  there are about 7 characters
left in the C1 area (apart from NEL) that they haven't assigned.  That's
room for left and up arrows.