No UNC (was Re: Common Internet File System)

Jan Bottorff janb at pmatrix.com
Tue Feb 15 00:11:43 UTC 2000

At 11:37 PM 2/14/00 +0100, you wrote:
>>I can't imagine what the current VM would be doing to prevent UNC names
>>from working.
>
>Me too, but at least with Windows 98 and myself as an user, it didn't work.
> When I wanted the VM to access "\\magus\d\dev\...image" the VM replied
>that "\recycled\magus\d\dev\...image" couldn't be found.
>
>On the Smalltalk-Level one would have to extend the DosDirectory class (I
>think it is called) and probably a few other platform dependent classes to
>understand "\\magic\d\" instead of "E:\" as an absolute path, actually a
>drive name.

Hmmm. I just tried opening '\\beth\c$\winzip.log' on a CrLfFileStream, and
it offhand seems to work fine. This is on a NT box,  with Squeak 2.6, and
the security context required to access the file is known to be the default
context. Is it possible your getting a security or sharing error on the
file your trying to open?

- Jan