How Do You Do Business Apps? (Squeak/Pro Proposal)

Paul Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Sat Feb 26 06:34:14 UTC 2000

Duane Maxwell wrote:

> sez Paul...
> >Exactly the point. It takes a team of 10 full time experienced Squeakers
> >for X months to make the system useable for business and support it.
>
> I didn't say that.  I have 10 developers on the project, which only
> partially includes bringing Squeak up to a level of usefulness for us.
> We've actually had to make surprisingly few basic modifications to Morphic
> and the base Squeak image - it's held up rather well.  In fact, the less we
> do of that stuff the better, since we can more easily insulate the project
> from changes coming out of SqC.

Sorry to have given the impression I thought you were saying that. (And
"agree" pointed out the same thing in another post.) I should have
worded that differently.
"X" could be a fraction. In this case, I'd assume based on my
calculations 0.4, or about 9 days per developer for example.

Of course, if you don't plan on releasing the code, or if it is for a
web server sort of thing where you are not deploying off-site, or if it
is only for in-house utilities, I'd think that number might be smaller
(maybe 1 - 2 person months), or about X = 0.1 - 0.2 for your team, or
about two to four days per developer.

While you may not want to give out the information (and I'd respect
that), I would be curious what number of person-days you've found in
actuality your team needed to invest in non-application
development/debugging to make Squeak good enough for some sort of
production work. Is it on the order of 1 - 2 days, 1 - 2 weeks, or 1 - 2
months?

-Paul Fernhout
Kurtz-Fernhout Software
Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com