Squeak's web server

Jeff Szuhay jeffs at pstnet.com
Tue Feb 8 20:32:21 UTC 2000

>  > >Note that whatever the Squeak things might be called, the terms
>  > >"applet" and "servlet" are relatively well-established and have
>  > >relatively unambiguous meanings, at least when applied to Java. They
>  > >are also two quite different things
>  >
>  > Exactly. Notice how closely bound these concepts are to Java.
>
>Those terms are not any longer bounded to Java, even if there were at the
>begining.
>
>See for example new and being very dynamically developped project
>http://www.mozart-oz.org  (yet another great language)
>Mozart OZ system which is using term 'OZ applets' for the same thing as
>'Java applets' were design for. Personally I do not feel anything Javaish
>in terms 'applets' and 'servlets'. It just happened that Java was the
>first language to make use of those, but to me the meaning of those terms
>is far broader than in Java itself.  In terms of applets, 'OZ applets' are
>quite more powerful than 'Java applets', and I would claim that 'Java
>applets' do not capture the full potential of 'applets' ....

Yes. And this is the main reason why I rebel against the use of this term.
It is likely to be forever tainted by the Java conception, even though it
will be applied to contexts and environments other than Java.

    Jeff Szuhay                <mailto:jeffs at pstnet.com>
    Lead Macintosh Engineer    voice: 412/271-5040 x 227
    Psychology Software Tools  <http://www.pstnet.com/>