[ANN] SqueakBook Open for Review!

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Feb 4 19:14:17 UTC 2000

The edited volume "Squeak: Applications and Community/Taking Another
Path" is starting to take shape.  With 4 of the 15 chapters now
submitted as first drafts, Kim Rose and I would like to invite the
Squeak community to help us with review of the chapters.  (It's an
open source reviewing of a book about an open source system.)

The chapters are being posted as PDF to:
http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/squeakbook/3  Everyone is welcome to
download and read the chapters, and comments from anyone are welcome.
Please keep in mind that these are FIRST DRAFTS -- commenting on
anything from grammar to structure is appropriate, but keep in mind
that the authors themselves may not have had a chance to glance over
the chapter yet.  (Not that Kim and I have been pushing, or anything
:-)

SPECIAL REQUEST: We would like at least two Squeak-folk sign up for
each chapter as "Promised Reviewers."  We welcome comments from
everyone, but we want to be sure that every chapter gets at least two
people to read the WHOLE chapter and comment on it.  This is
particularly important for the more technical chapters where Kim and
I just can't check every nuance (and perhaps not even understand them
all!).  If you find yourself particularly drawn to a chapter, and
you're planning to read the whole thing anyway, could you please sign
up as one of our Promised Reviewers for that chapter?  More than two
is just great.  Our authors will appreciate having the audience and
the comments, and our publisher (Prentice-Hall) will be pleased both
in the interest in the chapter and in the additional review before
publication.

To keep to our timeline, we'd like to have all commentary done by
*APRIL 1*.  The authors will then fold in all the comments into new
drafts by August, and we'll then create a complete document for the
publisher in October.  With good luck, the book will be on the
bookshelves by the end of the year.  (Perhaps just in time for
Christmas giving! :-)

As new chapters come in from authors (we're expecting an onslaught in
the next couple weeks), I'll post them to the above URL.  So check
back occasionally.

Thanks for your interest,
   Mark and Kim
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu