Common Internet File System?

Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent) Jarvisb at timken.com
Tue Feb 15 21:04:27 UTC 2000

Sharing code and objects across systems doesn't imply the need for a file
system.  What do you store in a file system if not files?  Perhaps "object
system" would be a better term, as what we want to store are objects.
Perhaps "distributed object database"?

Re Self: self was/is a minimalist object-oriented language which descended
from Smalltalk.  Because of its minimalist approach (minimal in terms of
syntax and bytecodes - I think I remember the Self VM only had seven byte
codes) the developers had to come up with very fast on-the-fly translation
to native code to get it to perform reasonably well.  It was originally
developed at one of the Bay Area universities, I think (Stanford?), and
eventually became a SunLabs project.  The Self developers went on to found a
company called Animorphic Systems to commercialize their dynamic code
generation technology, which was acquired by Sun, and has now been used to
develop the newest Java VM.

There's others on this list who know a whole lot more about Self than I do.
Hopefully they'll speak up.

Bob Jarvis
Compuware @ Timken