PWS handler question

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 9 01:54:03 UTC 2000

Robert Withers <withers at vnet.net> wrote:
> Well, I was having trouble with BSD accepts under Unix, but with Lex's
> help and a recompile, it works now.  I was curious about something in
> there.  I see that the ConnectionQueue will accept (6) several
> connections and queue them until the loopOn: in PWS gets to the next
> connection.  It seems that only one request is being handled at a time,
> yet because we are queuing in the image, we could prolly loop several
> PWS handlers on the backside of the ConnectionQueue.  Is this the
> situation?  Is there a concurrency issue that prevents more than one PWS
> consuming off of the queue?

Concurrency isn't a panacea; it tends makes a server unstable in two
ways:

	1. Any shared data accesses can clash unless you put enough locks in.

	2. If you actually do get tons of simultaneous connections, then
	   you can run out of memory or other resources.

That said, Comanche allows limitted or unlimitted concurrency, depending
on which version you download.

Lex