Time to revisit newsgroup status

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Thu Feb 17 23:16:58 UTC 2000

Russ:

Not a news group! Please!?! c.l.s has turned into such a swamp I no longer even try to follow it; I got sick of the hate postings, the cross-postings from comp.lang.wierdos, the completely off topic discussions, all the spam, all the noise level. Five years ago c.l.s was more focused, stuck mainly to topic, had some hate mongers but not that many, and it was productive for me to participate.

If the squeak mailing list is too hard to follow now, think of ten times the volume with most being garbage. I'd give up on it and I NEED it in my daily work. I depend on the mailing list.

I suspect that some factoring of the mailing list would help but I cannot find any place where I'd draw the lines.

I find filtering (in Eudora) to be effective for me and I subscribe to almost 30 mailing lists. Each morning I get 80-120 messages, most from mailing lists. Mmost are low volume and many I only skim every few weeks. But filtering keeps them separate and show shows what's new.

If we defined and used the square bracket notation consistently (I know I fail to do so) then there is another level on which one could filter. [BUG] could go in one list, [ENH] in another, etc. according to ones personal desires.

I don't track features in other mail readers. Is filtering fairly universal and workable now?

Dave

Of course, we could hide out. There once was an alt.sex.beastiality.hampster.ducttape. Maybe we could find some more obscure name to hide behind, like: alt.farming.husbandry.mammals.rodents.squeak, and hope that no one finds us.  ;-)

At 20:23 -0800 2/16/2000, Russ Van Rooy wrote:
>Hi Squeakers ! I got home today from software testing day job and what do I do ? Well of course I logon like any red blooded self-respecting computer geek ! But, I opened my mail program to be greeted with 105 new messages, 100 of them from the squeak mail list. I currently have over 2000 mail messages in my inbox , most of them squeak related, more than half of them unread . I think the time has come, folks, for us squeakers to have our own newsgroup up there with comp.lang.smalltalk. Why not comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak for starters ? Yeah, I know I could put a filter on my inbox and re-direct all of my squeak mail - I actually did that once and it was ok. But I bet I'm not the only one who would like to see  squeak represented by the news groups. Also, it would maybe lend more "empowerment" to the squeak community if we had our own newgroup. Whattay'all say ?
>
>- Russ Van Rooy
>Squeaking since 1.2 ?

David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center