Why more than one mailing list/Swiki is needed

Giovanni Giorgi giovanni.giorgi at mlab.disco.unimib.it
Sat Feb 12 21:07:33 UTC 2000

First of all,
    I  apologize for my previous email, because it could seem a little aggressive and it was not my intention.

I will  expose here a small idea, with the only intent of continue this discussion proposing two solution: mailing list and/or swiki moderated.
(In Italian we say we are going to do a "critica costruttiva" :)

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> Giovanni Giorgi <giovanni.giorgi at mlab.disco.unimib.it> wrote...
> >I agree with Dan Ingalls, but I have had the same problems of  Daniel Allan Joyce.
> You mean were afraid to ask about what's going on at Squeak Central?
> Seriously, guys, all you have to do is ask.  If we have answered recently,
> we'll point you at the message.  If we haven't, then we'll give an update.

[...]
>I disagree completely.  I can think of numerous examples (Linda, Prolog, Natural
>Language, MP3, Quicktime, etc)
>where truly the best solution was to ask everyone.  We at SqC often have useful
>answers, but frequently there are
>several other lurkers or experts in that area who give much better responses. This is
>what's great about a community,
>and this is how you tap that energy.  Simple queries and clear responses about
>ongoing work have NEVER been a
>problem on this list.

The problem is a little complex, from my point of view.
Suppose I'd like to modify the Pluggable Web Server (PWS) in a special way,  for example to fix a bug with no implications on the organisation of the entire Squeak image.
I  can email to Squeak mailing list, for getting some information, and I will get a good response.
But if I post the same email on the pws mailing list, I can get a very focused response about my special problems, without bothering all the squeakers.

> [...]With all due respect, this is an issue that gets about 20 messages every 4 or 5 months.  It's true that the list sometimes gets a bit verbose, but so far it has always quieted down before long.  Most people enjoy the variety of coverage.  And speaking for myself, I don't have enough extra organizational energy to deal with three possibly overlapping mail lists about Squeak.  If you want a database of ongoing projects, a mail list is not the right medium anyway (see below).  Of course, I can be shouted down, and if this happens, then obviously it is time to split the Squeak mailing
> list.

I disagree with you.
Three mailing list are a lot, but a second one will be nice, in my own opinion;
as Dwight Hughes said :
>just roll "devel" and "official" into a single "sqdev" list and leave the current list
>as is for the "discussion" list. I would _not_ want a newsgroup

I take a look to the Squeak mailing list on eGroups:
The usage Stats in the last 14 months are of about
10544 total messages =>
more than 750 messages per month =>
more than 25 messages per day.
The first months of 1999 start with 517 message in January, and in  6 months (Feb, Mar, Jun, Oct, Nov,Dic 1999) we go over 700 messages per month.
I look at the top posters: 45 (!) of them have posted more than 30 messages in the last period.
It seems to be a lot of guys and I' am happy because I am not alone :)

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> That all said, I hear your concern.  I can tell that something is missing.

Yes, but I think a  "sqdev" mailing list will link the people in a tight teamwork, and
so we'd stop to have  "projects, which seems to be hush-hush."

------
Adam Bridge wrote:
>On 2/11/00 at 10:52 AM, dmaxwell at entrypoint.com (Duane Maxwell) wrote:
>> I'd have to say this is the most civil and informative mailing list
>> think I've ever subscribed to.
>Not only that, but it's filled with wonderful ideas, and it's a safe
>place in
>which to explore new thoughts, ask questions, and gain genuine insite
>into the art and craft of Smalltalk, computing, and sometimes cognition and
>learning.

For the reason, I think the squeak mailing list will remain the wonderful place in
which I can talk about a lot of issue, but "leave out" the implementation detail of a "sqdevel" list.
I agree to people with do not want a newsgroup, because my idea is to control the flow of thinking not to expand it in an uncontrolled way....(and sadly a newsgroup add *too* pepole...).

John Buffington wrote:
>But I'd be happy to
>help set up the framework for a widgets project swiki, if someone else
>can moderate.
It seems a good idea....hmmm...I will end my Master Thesis the 28th of this month....
If the squeakers want an italian boy as moderator for widgets, I offer myself...
....the swiki.net can be a good place to start?........

>  Doug Way wrote:
>
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Jesse Schell wrote:
>
> > I would love to join forces with you to put some decent widgets in
> > Squeak... As far as I am concerned this is Squeak's greatest
> > weakness...
>
> I think many on this list would agree with this.  (At least those who
> are
> interested in creating end-user GUI apps.)
>
> I'm sure that there are people, including myself, that are interested
> in
> contributing.  This would be a good item to add to the Project list on
> the
> Swiki.  Better yet, it might be worthwhile to set up a specialized
> mailing
> list for people working on this (since a Swiki Project doesn't
> guarantee
> much activity :-))... kind of like how there are already specialized
> mailing lists for PWS/Comanche and Squeak Sound/Music.

Doug  Way is  right !
What do you think?
Ciao ciao!
--