Database connectivity anyone?

demiourgos at smalltalk.org demiourgos at smalltalk.org
Tue Feb 15 19:11:16 UTC 2000

On Tue, 15 February 2000, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm still trying to establish Squeak/Comanche as an alternative to Java
> Servlets at my office.  Even a Sun partner and Java company should have
> Smalltalk knowledge I think ;-)  However, it's crucial for all but trivial
> projects that we can access relational databases from within Squeak.
>
> I'm thinking about two systems at the moment: MySQL is a nice simple
> database which would IMHO fit very well to Squeak.  Oracle is probably the
> most important professional system one has to support.
>
> Is there any kind of database connectivity already or is somebody working
> on this?

[snip]

Stefan,

Yes, database connectivity is very important.  I'd be interested in it, too.
I recently had to make a choice, and chose Pervasive.SQL primarily because
of its small harddisk footprint (33 MB with only demo database, but including
all other stuff, including documentation).  My schedule is a bit tighter, and
while I intend to keep Squeak-compatible copies of all the stuff I do, my
development environment is Dolphin.  Having a database connection was
crucial in my choice of Dolphin, but, clearly, while I can provide client-side
Squeak versions of my Dolphin applets, on the server I need to remain
pure Dolphin because of the database hook.  I am also intrigued by
Dolphin's game programming and Web hooks, as well as their link to
the Logo Bot,

    http://www.object-arts.com/Bower/Bot-Kit/

The other possibility is to make an XML interface for Squeak, and rely
on some third leg tool to go between the XML and your database of
choice.  Peter William Lount at http://xml.smalltalk.org (peter@
smalltalk.org) is urging XML as a Smalltalk medium, although initially
he's talkin' source representations.  http://www.indelv.com/ has a
Smalltalk interface.

 --jtg

Jan Theodore Galkowski      www.smalltalk.org/
    http://www.scguild.com/usr/1707I.html
demiourgos at smalltalk.org  www.marssociety.org/
PGP Key Fingerprint: 2757 F86D AA51 677D 38D7
                     964B 9A8D 7852 A494 3790
Get my Public Key from my home page at:
   http://home.stny.rr.com/algebraist/