Chording Keyboards vs Dvorak or Querty

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Fri Feb 25 19:37:00 UTC 2000

At 21:09 -0500 2/23/2000, David N. Smith \(IBM\) wrote:
>* IBM Cambridge (MA) chord keyboard for the IBM 3270 display terminal by Nathaniel Rochester. Had left and right hand keyboards and one could type with either or both at the same time. A number were released around in IBM in the late 1970's.
>
>I still have a left-handed keyboard but the remainder of the system was 'loaned' and never returned. It had a 3x5 keyboard (if I'm remembering it correctly) and chords were formed by pressing multiple keys with the four ingers. There was a separate 1x4(?) thumb chord keyboard for shifting, blank, and other stuff. Each key had multiple letters on it, and keys had dimples at their corners so that the intersection of four keys could be pressed at one time.

Well, I was cleaning my office and packing for a move to another office down the hall and found the left keyboard (and a pile of documentation ca 1979). I certainly misremembered (it's not 3x5). I'm going to take some pictures and put them on my web site sooner or later. If someone is curious, ding on me and it'll happen sooner. There also were published reports, which I can copy or scan if there is anyone that curious.

Dave
David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center
Hawthorne, NY