Common Internet File System?

Mayuresh A Kathe mayuresh at vsnl.com
Sun Feb 13 16:21:06 UTC 2000

Hi Eric, you have been able to understand most of what I have wanted to
express and thanks for making them so clear for Charles.

What I had in mind is something like Windows File Sharing, the only
difference being that users should be able to share files across the
internet since CIFS is based on TCP/IP.

The purpose of implementing it in Squeak is to make Squeak even more
powerful and capable of interacting with various other OSs like Windows,
Linux, other unices that support CIFS. If we depend on the native
implementation we will loose out on platform independence.

Also it would be great lets say for example for you to peek into my code and
change it (based on permissions and locking) while I am working on something
else, lets say you are my mentor and would like to instruct me real time
along with code changes.

Please visit the following sites:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/networking/cifs/
http://jcifs.samba.org/